07 April 2014

Nutella Chiffon

I have a weakness for food storage containers. You know sometimes at the supermarket there are promotional grocery items that come with free storage boxes of various sizes? I totally dig them. The thing is, I have so many storage containers at home already so most of the time I resist the temptation.

The other day I saw Nutella having this promotion where 2 tubs of 375g of Nutella are packed inside a Lock & Lock type of airtight container. It immediately attracted my attention and I was debating with myself whether to buy, although I still have a tub of Nutella at home :p

Well, hubby and dear son love Nutella so no harm buying more. And oh, I don't have airtight container of that particular size. Oh yah, I also recall Wendy of Table for 2... or more just posted a recipe on Nutella Chiffon Cake recently, I can try out that recipe! There, it's decided :p

I like it how there's no oil or sugar in the egg yolk batter since the Nutella itself is already sweet enough with sufficient fat content. Wendy mentioned that the chiffon turned out on the moist side so I reduced the milk amount by 15g. It turned out alright, or probably a tiny weeny on the dry side. Next time probably I'll just reduce milk amount by 5 or 10g? Or probably bake at fan mode at 160 degree celsius (this time I baked the cake at 180 degree celsius on conventional mode).

Overall, I think this is a great recipe to use up Nutella spread with few ingredients and very quick and easy to make!


Nutella Chiffon Cake
(recipe from Table for 2... or more)
(makes one 22cm chiffon cake)



Ingredients
  • 85g fresh milk (original 100g)
  • 180g Nutella
  • 80g cake flour, sifted
  • 5 egg yolks (I use 60g egg with shell)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 egg whites
  • 80g caster sugar
Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius (conventional mode) or 160 degree celsius (fan mode). Prepare a 22cm chiffon pan. Do not grease.
  2. Heat fresh milk over low heat. Add nutella and stir till all the nutella has melted. Once mixture starts to boil, off the heat. Continue to stir till mixture is very smooth. Make sure there's no lumps of nutella in the mixture. Set aside to cool down.
  3. Once Nutella mixture has cooled down, add egg yolks, flour and vanilla extract and mix till it becomes a smooth batter.
  4. Using an electric mixer or hand whisk, beat egg whites until soft peaks and add sugar gradually, and beat till stiff peak.
  5. Put 1/4 of the egg white meringue into the Nutelle/yolk batter, FOLD gently. Repeat with another 1/4.
  6. Pour the Nutella/yolk batter into the remaining 1/2 egg white meringue. FOLD gently until no streaks of egg whites can be seen.
  7. Pour the batter into chiffon pan and bake at 180 degree celsius (conventional mode) for 50 mins.
  8. Upon 50 mins, remove the chiffon from the oven immediately and turn the pan up-side-down to let it cool down.
  9. Remove the cake from the chiffon pan after the cake has cooled down totally. Store the cake in airtight container.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment