17 July 2014

Boracay Calamansi Muffin - AFF Philippines Jul 2014

When reading the introduction by Swee San (The Sweet Spot) who is the host for this month's Asian Food Fest, she mentioned this Calamansi Muffin which is very famous in Boracay, Philippines.

I have not been to Boracay but it's definitely on my to-go vacation places list. I'm intrigued by this muffin, wondering how it would taste like, whether similar to lemon cake? Couldn't be flying all the way to Boracay eh? The best is to bake it myself to find out :)


Since I wasn't sure if I would like it, I halved the recipe and also reduced the amount of sugar. The method was pretty straightforward, creaming butter with sugar, followed by egg, then flour and milk/calamansi juice mixture alternately.


Boracay Calamansi Muffin
(makes 9 pieces small size muffins, recipe from pepper.ph)

Ingredients
  • 95g Plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Fresh milk
  • 2 Tbsp Calamansi juice
  • 55g Unsalted butter, softened
  • 80g Caster sugar
  • 1 Egg (60g egg with shell)
Steps
  1. Preheat oven (top/bottom heat) at 175 degree celsius. Line muffin pan with paper cases. Set aside.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Mix milk and calamansi juice together. Set aside.
  4. Cream butter and sugar till pale and fluffy, about 2-3 mins.
  5. Add egg and mix till incorporated.
  6. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk/calamansi mixture.
  7. Fold to incorporate, do not overmix.
  8. Scoop batter into paper cases about 2/3 filled.
  9. Bake at 175 degree celsius for about 20 mins.
  10. Best serve warm

The muffin turned out pretty tender and yes I could taste a mild citrusy taste as I bit into it. Just as I was thinking, nothing spectacular, a sudden strong zing hit my taste bud. Oh hey, this was interesting, the zing came only after I swallowed the cake and not when I was chomping. I offered half a muffin to the kiddo and he had this weird expression after eating it and rejected my offer for more cake. But I must say, it was pretty addictive, this sudden zing. Well, if you are curious about this muffin, give it a try since it's so easy to bake and ingredients are very simple.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest – Philippines hosted by The Sweet Spot.

2 comments:

  1. The calamansi muffin at Boracay's Real Coffee has finer texture than the ones shown in your photos. I understand why your kiddo rejected the second offer. I, too, found it weird the first time I tasted the muffin. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BoracayStories,
    I must visit Boracay one day, to try the calamansi muffin!

    ReplyDelete